- This event has passed.
Light UP the North! Mini Circus Camp
August 4, 2015 @ 9:00 am - August 8, 2015 @ 4:30 pm$150 - $200
For Ages 3 – 6 & 7 – 17
Registration Deadline: July 30, 2015
Registration will be held on July 16 & 17, 2015 from 5 pm – 7 pm at the Al Adair Rec Centre. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Circus builds confidence, teaches respect for each other as a fundamental part of being a circus family, and encourages creative play while teaching that even the impossible can become possible with practice!
We are excited to announce we are hosting Peace River’s first circus and movement arts themed day camp at the Al Adair Rec Centre in Peace River, Alberta. Taught by professional educators and performers from Light of the North Entertainment, as well as Peace River’s own circus family Circus of Hell, as seen at the Special Olympics opening ceremonies, DMI’s Million Minutes Celebration, the Peace River Air Show, North Country Fair, and multiple other events across northern Alberta and B.C.
Participants aged 3-17, limit of 40 participants. (Min of 20 children for the 7 – 16 camp and 7 children for the 3 – 6 camp must register.)
– Circus crafts (mask making, sock poi making, & hoop making)
– Acrobatics (tumbling, pyramids, etc.)
– Contortion (stretching and bending)
– Movement and spin arts (staff, hoop, poi, and more)
– Balance acts (rolla bolla, etc.)
Plus even more circus fun!
Final FREE performance for parents and family showcasing each child’s new and unique skills!
- Tuesday August 4 to Friday August 7
- Ages 3 – 6 from 9am – 12:00 pm
- Ages 7- 17 from 1 pm – 4 pm
- Saturday Aug. 8
- All ages: 12 pm – 4 pm
- 12 pm – 1 pm: Pizza party (Please note the pizza party will be a reward for good behaviour during the week, otherwise we will ask parents to send a simple lunch.)
- 1 pm – 3:00 pm: Practice for the circus showcase
- 3:30 pm: Doors open, Circus vendors marketplace (hoops, props, etc)
- 3:30– 4:30 pm: Final FREE performance for parents showcasing everything we learned during the week!
- All ages: 12 pm – 4 pm
$150 for ages 3 – 6 (for the week)
$200 for ages 7 – 17 (for the week)
NO drop-ins please. A $50 deposit per child is required to register, with the remaining balance due on the first day of camp.
(The price includes some take-home craft projects for the kids to keep, including a mask, a set of practice sock poi, etc.)
RYAN STINN (Rumplestiltspin):
Staff expert, former executive member of the University of Lethbridge Object Manipulation Club, professional educator currently teaching math at Glenmary School, and professional fire performer.
NATALIE WILD (RoseFire):
Hooper, hoop and circus arts instructor, former executive member of the University of Lethbridge Object Manipulation Club, professional educator currently subbing at schools around the region, and professional performer.
Born and raised in Peace River, took her first year of ADAPT TTS and first ACA coaching course in 2010. After graduating in 2011, she gained her Early Learning and Child Care certificate at GPRC. The summer of 2014, she took the fast track program with Acrobatique and took the Junior and Intermediate courses, and will be attending the Advanced Acrobatique course this upcoming month in Toronto as well as completing and graduating from the ADAPT TTS.
At 13, Aurora is one of only three professional contortionists in Alberta, the other two of whom are both adults. She has a deep love of acrobatics and dance and is excited to share her bendy, bouncy skills with more children! She was a mentor at the 2014 Dawson Creek circus camp.
– We offer the option to take up to 4 parent volunteers for the week, for a refund of $100 for one child each for these volunteers (final camp price $50). This refund will be given at the end of the week once volunteer hours are complete. Duties will include helping with crafts, spotting, and general supervision.
– We will NOT be teaching the kids any fire performing.
– This camp will NOT involve any animals.
– Due to liability issues we are NOT offering aerial or trapeze instruction at this camp.
– We reserve the right to remove any child whose behaviour threatens the safety of themselves or others, but in such an extreme case the parent/guardian/caregiver will be contacted immediately.